- Operation Christmas Child, the world’s largest Christmas project opens collection sites on Monday, November 17th through the 24th. Visit Gem Industries, Shearer Hills Baptist Church, TriPoint Center and the Vineyard Church to drop off your gift filled shoebox for children. Visit www.samaritanspurse.org for information.
- Secular Organization for Sobriety invites all who are struggling with Sobriety from alcohol, drugs, or compulsive eating to attend Tuesday Night meetings at 6:30PM. Call 210-838-3470 for location and information.
- Systema Russian Martial Art classes are held every Wednesday at 6:30PM at Hardberger Park. These classes are free and open to the public. Visit www.sanantoniosystema.com for more information.
- The San Antonio Food Bank’s – The Great Turkey Challenge 5K will be held Thanksgiving morning to help fight hunger in our community. Check in is at 7AM, followed by the race starting at 8:30AM on Thursday. Register at www.safoodbank.org
- Bring the family to the Santa’s Annual North Star Holiday Parade on Friday, November 29th at North Star Mall. The parade starts in front of Macy’s and ends in front of Saks Fifth Avenue. The fun begins at 10AM. The children can visit with Santa and receive a free gift, while supplies last!
- The 25th Annual International Peace Market will be held Friday, November 28th and Saturday, November 29th at the center located at 922 San Pedro. The market will be open from 10AM to 6PM, admission is free. A variety of artful, beautifully handmade items will be on sale. Call 210-228-0201 for information.
- It takes a community to write a book – “Tales and Poems from Universal City, Texas” Book Signing will be held today, Saturday, November 22nd from Noon to 1PM at Four Kings Diner located at 2047 Universal City Boulevard. Come out and support the community.
- Start your holiday with L.E.G.S Turkey Trot 5K Run and Walk on Saturday, November 22nd at 9AM at the Pleasanton High School Track located at 831 Stadium Drive in Pleasanton. Call 210-275-7479 for information and registration.
- Friends of the Tobin Library at Oakwell will hold a fall book sale on Saturday, November 22nd from 10AM to 4PM at the library located at 4134 Harry Wurzbach Road. About 5,000 used books, CDs, DVDs and Audiobooks will be available for sale.
- The Hope is in Jesus Church will have a Christmas Arts and Crafts Show on Saturday, November 22 from 9AM to 4PM at the church grounds located at 2308 Cincinnati Street. Bring the family and get started on your holiday gift list!
- The Alamo Beard Club’s 3rd Annual Mustache Competition will be held Saturday, November 22nd at 7PM at the Hangar located at 8203 Broadway. The cost to compete is 10-dollars with various competition categories. Proceeds benefit the San Antonio Food Bank. Visit www.alamobeardclub.com for information.
- The 25th Annual International Peace Market will be held today, Saturday, November 29th at the center located at 922 San Pedro. The market will be open from 10AM to 6PM, admission is free. A variety of artful, beautifully handmade items will be on sale. Call 210-228-0201 for information.
- It’s time to register for the Helotes Humane Society 6th Annual Jingle Paws Classic 5K Run/Walk set for Saturday, December 13th at Soler’s Tri-Sport in Helotes. Registration begins at 7AM and the race starts at 8AM. Enjoy live music, food, and contests for pets! Register today at www.athleteguild.com
- The B.I.S.H. Foundation – Believers Inspiring Survivors for Hope - 4th Annual Original Santa Antonio 5K Walk/Run will be held at Sunset Station on Sunday, November 30th, the race begins at 9AM. To register, visit www.bishfoundation.net
- The San Antonio Book Festival Fiction Contest for Authors in grades 7 through 12th are invited to submit an original fiction piece on the theme of “A Chest in the Attic…” Deadline is January 12, 2015. Only online word documents will be accepted. Visit www.saplf.org/festival/fictioncontest for complete contest rules.
- Adopt a Senior Pet Month continues through the end of the month at the Animal Defense League. Pets over the age of 5 years can be adopted for a special adoption fee. Visit www.adltexas.org to view the pets in need of homes or call 210-655-1481 for information.
- The Country Miler, a 5K Fundraiser run-walk in honor of Johnny Ball will be held Saturday, November 22nd. Register today, visit www.JohnnyBallFoundation.org Help the fight against brain cancer.
- The San Antonio Police Department – Family Assistance Crisis Team is looking for men and women to assist victims of domestic violence by volunteering with the Victims Advocacy Office. Make a six-month commitment, potential volunteers will receive training. Call 210-207-2305 for more information.
- The Southwest Outreach for Older People are seeking volunteers to assist Adults that can no longer drive. If you would like to volunteer, call SWOOP at 210-558-0007.
- The Copeland Senior Activity Center on the south side of town invite you to visit the facility and enjoy daily activities including Thai Chi, Bunco, Meditation and educational classes. Call 210-927-1112 for information.
- The UTSA Small Business Development Center offers integrated, low-cost training and free counseling services to meet the needs of small business owners - to find out the classes that will be offered this week, call 210-458-2460.
- The Jefferson Outreach for Older People can really use your help by sponsoring meals for seniors. You can sponsor a day, month or a year. For more information, call 210-734-5016.
High School Reunions:
- The Edgewood High School Class of 1985 is planning their 30th Year Reunion. If you are a 1985 graduate and would like to learn more about fund raisers, plans and the celebration date; call 210-852-6503 or 210-214-1808.
- If you would like to have an event posted on our Community Calendar, please email KSAT12 Promotion Assistant Josie Rios at email@example.com.
Copyright 2014 by KSAT - All rights reserved.