Grandmother Wins Custody Of Slain Girl's Remains
Hearing Reveals Years Of Alleged Abuse
SAN ANTONIO - Testimony told the story of a child failed at every turn.
It began in 2010, when she made an outcry of sexual assault accusing her uncle, Baron Ochoa. She even had a sexual assault exam in November that tested positive, according to testimony by a Child Protective Services caseworker during Friday's hearing.
According to testimony, Sammy Ochoa, then 10 years old, made another outcry in July 2011, accusing her father and uncle of sexual assault.
A forensic interview was set up that took place Aug. 11. In that interview, Sammy Ochoa revealed that her uncle told her if she told anyone about the sexual abuse, he would kill her and her mother, according to testimony.
Less than a month after the second outcry was made, Sept. 14, Sammy Ochoa, her mother Rebecca Gonzalez and another woman were found dead in their home. All three had been stabbed to death and the home set fire.
Conrad and Baron Ochoa, who are considered suspects in the slayings, were arrested last week on sexual assault charges involving Sammy and another little girl.
"It can make one very angry when you can't protect the ones you love. Especially those who are totally defenseless like she was," Ochoa's grandmother, Suzy Bianchi-Peters, said.
At the end of Friday's heartbreaking testimony, Bianchi-Peters got a small win: the right to Sammy's remains, on what would have been her 11th birthday.
"We can finally put her to rest," Bianchi-Peters said.
Copyright 2011 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.