SAN ANTONIO - Two days after the body of Dana Clair Edwards was found in her fashionable Alamo Heights condo on Jan. 2, 2009, her ex-boyfriend, Jon Thomas Ford, 43, was questioned by police.
He explained that he and Edwards had broken up in September 2008 but remained friends. They had attended the same New Year's Eve party the following December but not as a couple.
Ford said he left the party a little before 11:30 p.m. in his taped interview played for the jury as his trial got underway Wednesday morning.
Prosecutors said that not long later, Edwards left. Her body was found on Jan. 2 .
She had been beaten and strangled.
In his recorded statement, Ford was able to account for his activity following the party.
His account was full of lies, prosecutor Kathy Cunningham said during her opening statement.
“What you will see is that he is able to account for everything and he has his lies down," Cunningham told the jury.
Ford was arrested the following fall and charged with Edward’s murder after DNA prosecutors say matched his profile was found on a towel that was covering Edwards face when her body was discovered.
Ford’s lawyer, Houston attorney Dick DeGuerin, said that the state’s case was weak at best.
“If you look very carefully at the evidence -- and the lack of evidence -- we’re confident that if you do, you will find that Jon Thomas Ford is not guilty," he said.
If he is found guilty, Ford is facing a maximum sentence of life in prison.
Testimony will resume on Thursday in Judge Maria Teresa Herr’s 186th District Court.
Copyright 2012 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.