Tradition, territory rule at Battle of Flower's parade

Battle of Flower's Parade set for Friday

battle_of_flowers_setup

SAN ANTONIO - On the night before the Battle of Flower's Parade, there was a lot of activity downtown as dozens of faithful parade goers set up, camped out and waited.

Rogelio Perez, who has been setting up camp for the parade every year for the past 25 years said he was looking forward to Fiesta again this year.

"We're in the same spot," said Perez. "We used to be across the street, but we moved this way."

Susan Sanchez, another faithful parade-goer, said she has been camping out for a good spot for the past 10 years and that it's a lot of work.

"We got here about 11 on Friday and we'll stay here until about 1:30, 2 o'clock in the morning," said Sanchez. "We are just pretty much setting up."

Sanchez and her family built a platform so more than 60 of their family members can enjoy the parade.

She said the tough part of setting up is almost over, but that their family tradition of more than 10 years almost didn't happen this year because of some of the people out there trying to steal their spot.

"They don't understand that people have been out here for years," said Sanchez. "And, you will get people that will come out and try to take your spot because they tried it this year with my spot, even though I had already marked it."


Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms Of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.
blog comments powered by Disqus