EXCLUSIVE: KSAT talks with alleged airport bomb hoax caller

Man claimed to have threatened San Antonio International Airport with bomb hoax

SAN ANTONIO - The man claiming to have placed bombs at the San Antonio International Airport on Wednesday contacted the KSAT 12 newsroom on Friday evening, saying he wanted to give his side of the story.

null

San Antonio police said a man called the airport Wednesday afternoon and made specific threats -- namely that he placed three bombs in cars in the lower parking garage adjacent to the airport's main terminals.

The threats were credible enough, San Antonio police Chief William McManus said, to warrant shutting down the entire airport -- stranding passengers, halting air travel and closing off all entrances and exits -- for more than three hours while FBI, Homeland Security, TSA, San Antonio police and fire officials investigated the claims.

No bombs were found and the airport was cleared by late Wednesday afternoon, with normal travel resumed by Wednesday night.

On Friday, a man identifying himself as Raul Gonzelez contacted KSAT 12, claiming to have made those threatening phone calls. He said he wanted to explain what happened and why he made those calls.

He said he and his friends had been drinking and "we really had nothing to do so we decided to chill out and do something funny.

"I told them that there was a bomb, which was made of ammonium nitrate, that was in the parking garage and I told them we were going to blow that up. I told them we had left our bombs inside three cars," Gonzelez said.

During the conversation, Gonzelez said his friends planted chemicals on three cars in the parking garage so bomb-detecting dogs would find them. He said there were no bombs.

Gonzelez said it was not the first time he and his friends had called in bomb threats. He said they called in threats to a local Walmart.

"I'm just telling the truth now because I'm tired of doing that," Gonzelez said. "I'm really sorry for what I did. I hope they forgive me. That's all. I won't do that again. I won't."

Following is KSAT's hour-long recorded Skype conversation with the man, broken into 5-minute segments. 

KSAT 12 decided to publish the conversation with Gonzalez, who may be the man behind the call - which police have called a terroristic threat. Anyone who can identify him should call police.


Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms Of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.
blog comments powered by Disqus