Beto's on Broadway featured on Food Network, gets poor score from Metro Health
Beto's featured on 'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' gets 36 demerits, Mama Margie's nearly fails also
SAN ANTONIO - Beto's on Broadway, which was featured on a popular Food Network show called 'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives', received a poor score from Metro Health during its latest health inspection. Beto's racked up 36 demerits for several violations that included:
- The health inspector found at least 10 pounds of produce, cheese and dressings at unsafe temperatures.
- Prepared food in a container on the floor was then moved to a work table which had to be sanitized.
- There was evidence of flies throughout the establishment.
The owner tells KSAT's Behind the Kitchen Door that many of the items were silly, dumb mistakes and a corrective action plan is now in place. He says he's working with Metro Health to keep scores like this from happening again.
Mama Margie's on I-10 and Wurzbach almost failed their latest inspection with 30 demerits. Violations included:
- The health department found food at unsafe temperatures.
- Limes were being cut on a moldy cutting board.
- No hot water at several sinks.
- Gnats were buzzing the dish washing and storage areas.
A manager spoke to KSAT and said the plumbing was fixed immediately and their problems have been "cured."
Metro Health gave perfect scores to the following San Antonio restaurants:
- Big Lou's Pizza on South WW White Road.
- Culver's on De Zavala Road.
- Spaghetti Warehouse by Sunset Station.
- Taco Bell on South General McMullen.
Copyright 2012 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.