Electrocuted SeaWorld worker Ricardo Corpus honored by family
Family: Corpus 'loved life,'
SAN ANTONIO - The family of 49-year-old Ricardo Corpus could hardly speak Sunday a day after Corpus was electrocuted while working at SeaWorld.null
The words of Sonia Vargas, MaryLu Riojas, Teresa Corpus and Felicia Teran were heavy with grief, but also of love and praise for a man they say would do anything for them.
Daughters Sonia and Felicia are trying to find a way to move on. Understandably, it's unimaginable.
"Having this tragedy happen just hurts so much," Teran said. "He's what held us together. We could call him for anything and he'd be there in a heartbeat."
It was around noon Saturday when police say Corpus was on top of an employee cafe at the park. He was testing amperage on an HVAC unit when another employee on the roof heard a noise and saw a puff of smoke.
The report says the employee ran to Corpus' side and found him unconscious. When help arrived, crews lowered him to the ground level. He was pronounced dead.
"He was a good man," said Vargas. "He took care of us like no other. He gave up everything to take care of me and my sisters and my mom."
Vargas' two young sons, her father's grandchildren, don't quite understand what's going on, but Vargas said they know their grandfather will not be coming back.
"I had to tell them what happened, and had to tell them that he wasn't coming home," she said.
Corpus and his wife, Teresa, met at Fox Tech high school. They were high school sweethearts, she said. There wasn't much they talked about the night before his death. She said they had familiar conversations. He left for work at 6 a.m. Saturday.
"He loved life," said Teresa. "He loved me, I know that for sure. I enjoyed every, every, every moment with him."
His sister-in-law, MaryLu Riojas, says the only comfort for now is this: "I guess the only satisfaction that we have is knowing that whatever happened, happened with what he loved doing."
The family says Corpus was a veteran HVAC technician with decades worth of experience. They say they don't blame SeaWorld and know the incident was accidental. He was with SeaWorld for 17 years.
The family says they are grateful to the worker or workers who rushed to Corpus' side after the accident and want to thank them for their efforts in trying to save their loved one.
Copyright 2012 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.