Behind the Kitchen Door: Bar, Mexican cafe fail inspection
Home Plate Grill, Las Mananitas Cafe fail health inspection
SAN ANTONIO - Two restaurants received failing scores from San Antonio Metro Health during their latest inspection.
The Home Plate Grill at 2533 Bandera Road struck out with a score of 40 demerits. Home Plate is only open in the evening and failed for a variety of violations including:
- Roaches and roach droppings found in several areas including the bar area refrigerator.
- Mold accumulated in the ice machine.
- There were several violations associated with hand washing.
An employee told KSAT Behind the Kitchen Door their kitchen has been closed for years but they do serve food for special occasions. He says pest control has treated the place and the owner is trying to work with the inspector.
Las Mananitas Cafe at 5406 S. Flores Street failed their most recent health inspection with 40 demerits.
They were shut down by the inspector for lack of hot water which affects things like proper dish washing and hand washing. Other issues included:
- The cafe's raw eggs were at an unsafe temperature.
- Their ice machine was overdue for a cleaning.
- They needed to put use-by dates on leftover food.
KSAT Behind the Kitchen Door called numerous times and were unable to reach anyone to discuss the situation.
Las Mananitas Cafe had a sign on the door saying they are closed for repairs and moved to a new location on Theo Avenue at S Flores Street.
Copyright 2013 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.