Alamo Heights house fire sends neighbors scrambling
Flames shoot 30 feet above home on Montclair Street, no injuries reported
A home on the 100 block of Montclair Street in Alamo Heights was transformed into a ball of flame Monday evening as heavy black smoke and fire shot high into the air from the back of the house.
“Just a massive amount of solid black smoke,” said neighbor John Dunn.
The most intense part of the fire could been seen from the back of the house. which sent neighbors on Albany Street running in and out of their own homes to remove precious belongings in case the fire spread.
"Everybody was pretty worrisome and then the winds picked up and everybody got concerned,” Dunn said.
A family of four people was home at the time the fire started, according to Alamo Heights Fire Chief Buddy Kuhn.
“They said they heard a loud bang outside,” said Kuhn. “She said she opened the back door and saw flames and smoke.”
Neighbors reported hearing several loud explosions, which Kuhn said pushed firefighters back as they tried to tackle the flames.
“We found several ruptured propane cylinders that were full in the back,” said Kuhn. “We did find pieces of one bottle in the back.”
Crews doused surrounding trees with water to keep the fire from spreading further.
A garage belonging to the house across the back alley from the house was also destroyed by fire. The fire melted sections of siding on a third house.
Now that the flames are out, the work begins to find the source.
Copyright 2013 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.