Electrical problem blamed for house fire in south San Antonio

Resident reported flames coming from ceiling fan

SAN ANTONIO - A fire at a South Side home Thursday morning may have been sparked by an electrical problem, according to San Antonio firefighters.

Crews were called out to the 600 block of Collingsworth Avenue around 5 a.m. and said they found flames shooting 30 feet into the air from the roof of a home.

Neighbors said they heard what sounded like two loud pops or explosions, then noticed the flames.

Sierra Fuentes, 14, said she and her parents rushed out of their home, worried that their neighbor might still be inside his burning home.

"He's a nice man. He's a good man and I wouldn't want anything like that to happen to him," she said.

The neighbor had already made it out safely and was using a garden hose to put water on his home, Fuentes said.

Firefighters arrived a short time later and knocked down the fire quickly. However, the fire caused extensive damage throughout the home, they said.

The homeowner told firefighters he heard crackling and noticed flames initially coming from the roof next to his ceiling fan.

After the fire broke out, the homeowner told firefighters his two dogs were missing. But the pets turned up a few hours later.

For a list of recent stories Katrina Webber has done, click here.


Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.
blog comments powered by Disqus