Injuries reported at Uvalde County fireworks show
Accident happened at Uvalde County Fairplex
UVALDE, Texas - An infant and an older relative were both take to the hospital yesterday with minor burns, after an errant firework landed on top of the van they were sitting in at a fireworks show at the Uvalde County Fairplex.
The man and child, whose identities have not yet been released, were watching a fireworks show during the city’s Fourth of July festivities.
“The firework, for whatever reason, didn’t explode in the sky and just landed right on top of their van,” said Mario Rangel, with the Uvalde Volunteer Fire Department.
The van was scorched, as was the ground around it. Video obtained by KSAT shows fire crews immediately coming to put out the fire, and assist the two people that were injured.
The van appeared to be located about 100 yards away from where the fireworks were being launched.
“Next year, we will probably move the crowds a little further back,” said Rangel.
Uvalde residents expressed sympathy for the man and child injured, but said accidents can happen.
“It’s kind of a 'wrong place, wrong time' thing,” said Tammy Valdez, who added that she would not have sat so close to the fireworks with her own child.
The company who put on the show may or may not be cited, according to Rangel, who said the investigation was ongoing.
Spectator Ervey Perez posted a video of the incident on Facebook Thursday night. It can be seen below.
CONTENT WARNING: An instance of strong language can be found in this video.
Copyright 2013 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.