Shooting suspect surrenders peacefully after West Bexar County SWAT standoff

Man accused of shooting wife, barr­icading himself inside home

SAN ANTONIO - A standoff involving a sheriff’s SWAT team and shooting suspect in West Bexar County came to a peaceful end Friday morning, about two hours after it began.


“Negotiators began speaking with the subject and at approximately 7 a.m., the suspect came out,” said Paul Berry, spokesman for the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office.

Berry said the trouble began around 5 a.m. after the man attacked his wife in her sleep inside their home near Bear Canyon and Wildcat Canyon roads.

He said after physically assaulting her, the 38-year-old suspect got up to grab a gun.

His wife then gathered up their three children and attempted to run out of the home, he said.

"As she was leaving, the husband fired one shot, hitting her in the chin, and then it also hit her in the shoulder,” Berry said.

The woman and her children managed to make it to a neighbor’s home where they called for help.

She was later treated at the scene by paramedics, then taken to University Hospital with non life-threatening injuries.

Her husband, meanwhile, had no plans of leaving the home.

Berry said he barricaded himself inside, by “boarding up his home, his front door.”

With a SWAT team in place, a negotiator began talking to the suspect on the phone and, finally, convinced him to come out.

He was taken into custody without incident, Berry said.

"The wife has shared with our deputies that this was the first incident of any kind of domestic violence,” he said.

Neighbors seemed to agree with that assessment, describing the couple as quiet and friendly.

“I couldn’t believe it,” said Anna Sosa, who lives across the street. “They’re church-going people. They got three kids.”

For other neighbors, the shock and surprise came from having to leave their homes in the early morning hours.

During the standoff, deputies knocked on doors, telling residents to leave for their safety.

“I opened the door carefully and there was SWAT, machine guns, everything,” said Eber Abastta, who passed the time away from home at a nearby McDonald’s restaurant.

The suspect was arrested on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

The sheriff’s office did not release his name right away.

For a list of recent stories Katrina Webber has done, click here.


The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.
blog comments powered by Disqus