Defendant in manslaughter trial found not guilty
Jacob Granado admits behavior was reckless, negligent, was cleared of manslaughter charges
A San Antonio man on trial facing manslaughter charges in the death of another man has been found not guilty Thursday evening.
According to witnesses who testified earlier this week, Jacob Granado, 25, was fighting with Douglas Mitchell, 26, on the sidewalk on Culebra Road on the night of Jan. 18, 2012.
They said Granado threw Mitchell into the street where he was struck and killed by two passing cars.
Miitchell is disabled.
Testifying for the second day in a row Thursday, Granados said those witnesses lied.
He explained that he was running away following a foiled beer theft at a nearby convenience store. He said Mitchell tried to stop him.
“After Douglas had hit me, I had hit him, and ... I ran,” he testified. “I didn’t stay there to beat the person relentlessly."
Granados testified that another man who was part of the beer theft scheme caught up with him and beat him up because he was angry about the unsuccessful theft.
He said he lost sight of Mitchell during the attack. Seconds later, he said he heard what he later learned was the sound of Mitchell being struck by two passing cars.
“I did not beat this person mercilessly and leave him in the street to his own demise,” Granado testified. “I did not.”
Copyright 2014 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.