How can diabetics prevent hearing loss?
Hearing loss is more common among those who suffer from diabetes.
According to the Mayo Clinic, over time poor blood sugar control can damage the blood vessels and nerves in the ear that help people hear.
If you have diabetes, look for these symptoms outlined by the Mayo Clinic to see if your hearing is diminishing:
- Turning the volume up louder on your radio or TV
- Struggle to follow conversations between multiple people
- Think people are mumbling
- Ask people to repeat what they said
- Struggle to hear in crowded, noisy places
Diabetics are urged to control their blood sugar to help prevent hearing loss, as well as seek advice from your doctors if you feel your hearing is diminishing.
Copyright 2014 by KSAT - All rights reserved.