Five-Year-Old Boy Dies Days After Dog Chokes Him By Pulling on Scarf

Headline Goes Here Copyright (c) 2016 CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.

A 5-year-old Pennsylvania boy has died, days after he was choked by the family dog as they played in the snow, authorities said.

Little John Bruno was found face-down, with the pup pulling at a scarf around his neck, police said. His mother loosened the tightly wound scarf, carried him inside and called 911, Warrington Township police said.

Read: Boy, 13, Dies After Being Trapped in Snow Mound with Friends as Pair Played

He died Saturday at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, the coroner’s office reported. He had been heavily sedated since the accident, authorities said.

Officers initially thought the boy had suffered cardiac arrest while cavorting with the family’s 18-month-old pet.

Read: 'He's Alive!' Young boy Pulled from Snow-Filled HotelFollowing Avalanche in Italy

“His smile and boundless energy was electric,” reads a GoFundMe page established to help pay the boy’s medical and funeral costs. “He loved Ninja Turtles, Pokemon, superheroes and being silly.

“Above all else, John loved his mom, dad  and big sister.”

Watch: 10-Year-Old Boy Dies After Getting Trapped in Show While Digging Tunnel

Copyright (c) 2016 CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.