Health inspectors found multiple violations at a Northeast Side Mexican restaurant and a far West Side diner that features Asian cuisine.
El Maracombe Restaurant located at 1518 Austin Highway failed their latest health inspection with 45 demerits. Their violations included:
- Several food temperature concerns were listed.
- The inspector watched a server handle dirty dishes, then serve clean plates and refill drinks without washing her hands.
- The inspector also asked that the staff clean pretty much the entire kitchen including floors, walls and ceilings.
The owner tells KSAT Behind the Kitchen Door some of things on the report are true. But added that the restaurant is in the middle of major re-modeling, including the kitchen, and he links many of their demerits to that. He ended by saying a follow-up inspection went well.
Pei Wei Asian Diner located at 430 W. Loop 1604 N. and Potranco Road failed their most recent inspection with 34 demerits. Their violations included:
- The inspector witnessed improper food handling and hand washing procedures.
- The staff was advised that all food items and ingredients must be stored in covered containers to help prevent cross contamination.
- Kitchen equipment surfaces and utensils were dirty and needed to be cleaned.
KSAT Behind the Kitchen Door left two messages for the manager and had not heard back as of Thursday night. The inspector went back five days later and all previous violations had been corrected. Pei Wei is owned by PF Chang's and has five locations in San Antonio.
The following restaurants received zero demerits during their latest inspection:
- Golden Chick located at 2503 SE Military Drive
- Jason's Deli located at 9933 Interstate 10 West
- La Sopresa Cafe located at 3213 Pleasanton Road.
- Sarku Japan located at 6301 NW Loop 410.