BROKEN BONES: If more pressure is put on a bone than it can stand, it will split or break. A break of any size is called a fracture. If the broken bone punctures the skin, it is called an open fracture (compound fracture). A stress fracture is a hairline crack in the bone that develops because of repeated or prolonged forces against the bone. (SOURCE: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus)
HOW TO ADMINISTER FIRST-AID TO A PERSON WITH A BROKEN BONE(S):
· Keep the person still and calm. DO NOT move the person if a head, neck, or back injury is suspected.
· Examine the person closely for other injuries.
· In most cases, if medical help responds quickly, allow the medical personnel to take further action.
· If the skin is broken, it should be treated immediately to prevent infection. Don't breathe on the wound or probe it. If possible, lightly rinse the wound to remove visible dirt or other contamination, but do not vigorously scrub or flush the wound. Cover with sterile dressings.
· If needed, immobilize the broken bone with a splint or sling. Possible splints include a rolled up newspaper or strips of wood. Immobilize the area both above and below the injured bone.
· Apply ice packs to reduce pain and swelling.
EXOS CAST: Say good-bye to that old, stinky, itchy, bacteria ridden traditional cast and hello to Exos. The Exos technology is the world’s first dry heat, fully customizable, adjustable, reconformable, waterproof splinting, casting, and bracing system. (SOURCE:/www.exosmedical.com)
EXOS VS. TRADITIONAL CAST:
- Exos products can be fully immersed in water for prolonged periods of time without delaminating or softening.
- There is no saw removal; simply take off the expos brace.
- Exos material is 25% to 50% lighter than fiberglass or plaster.
- The Exos can be washed with soap, so buildup of bacteria and odor is greatly reduced.
- Exos products feature foam linings that increase patient comfort; they are cooler and less irritating than the traditional cast.
* For More Information, Contact:
EXOS Thermoformable, Waterproof Braces and Sheets