A shooting on the East Side claimed the life of a man and left another in the hospital with a gunshot wound to the neck.
Neighbors described the scene as a gun battle that started at a house in the 500 block of South Olive Street Monday around 10:30 p.m.
"Just ruckus, then shortly after that, a bunch of gunfire. It was quite a while, like a good two minutes," said a neighbor.
Several people who live nearby said the shooting went on for several minutes. A little girl who was outside said she thought someone was shooting fire balls.
San Antonio police officers responded and found 16 shell casings at the scene, but could not locate any victims.
Police said both victims apparently fled the scene in opposite directions after the shooting and one made it to the 700 block of Nevada where he collapsed.
Investigators said the collapsed victim had been shot at least twice -- in the shoulder and in the chest. He was placed in an ambulance, but pronounced dead at the scene.
Around the same time, officers located the second victim, a 19-year-old man, at a home in the 600 block of Mesquite. First responders transported him to San Antonio Military Medical Center in serious condition.
Police investigators said there were several witnesses to the shooting, including another person who was targeted by the gunfire, but none of the witnesses were cooperating with authorities.
Neighbors were on edge Tuesday morning and feared that with so many shots fired, one could have gone astray.
"I've got my niece and nephew, so I was kind of worried about that. I put them on the floor," said a neighbor.
People in the area described suspicious activity recently at the home where the shooting started, with heavy traffic in and out.
Neighbors were hopeful that whoever had recently moved in would move out and take the trouble with them.
The name of the man who died has not been released.