More than 100 nursing home residents had to be rescued on Sunday after a fire broke out at the Alamo Heights Health & Rehabilitation Center in the 8200 block of Broadway.
The fire broke out just before 7 p.m. on Sunday.
Chief Charles Hood with the San Antonio Fire Department said it started within the nursing home in a supply shed filled with household cleaning supplies.
Hood said the shed was fully engulfed when crews got to the scene and that it was also close to a neighboring apartment complex.
Hood said they had to evacuate 138 residents from the nursing home and two buildings from the nearby complex.
He said once they got everyone out safely, they got the fire out pretty quickly.
"You are getting people out that cannot rescue themselves," said Hood. "It's going to take two or three people to rescue these folks out. We had four fire companies, which is about 16 firefighters, but we also had staff, volunteers, people that were here visiting relatives on this day."
Eric Curry, who lives close by, said he saw the fire when he was driving and stopped to help.
"I pulled through here and saw that they needed some help, so I pulled over," said Curry. "I went in the building and started evacuating some people at the rehab center, started helping them out. We have been giving them water, blankets."
Hazmat crews were also on the scene trying to make sure there were no hazardous chemicals remaining in the building before they let the residents back in.
The cause of the fire was accidental.