Three local restaurants failed their recent health inspection. The list includes a sushi place and a Mexican restaurant that was forced to throw out hundreds of pounds of food.
Taqueria Los Dos Laredos on South Hackberry flunked their latest inspection with 40 demerits.
- The inspector found evidence of roaches.
- A greasy build-up on the stoves and fryers.
- Staff not washing their hands.
Metro Health says all corrections were made after two follow-up inspections.
Santos Mexican Restaurant on Castroville Road failed with 39 demerits.
- They were shut down by Metro Health for inadequate refrigeration and over 300 pounds of food was thrown out.
- The inspector also spotted rodent droppings.
An employee tells KSAT's Behind the Kitchen Door they were closed less than 24 hours. She says the fridge is fixed, the grease cleaned up and she doesn't see any rodents.
Samurai Sushi on Babcock failed their latest inspection with 37 demerits.
- Their sushi case was not cold enough and waste drainage from the sushi fridge drained into the hand washing sink.
The owner says they had just placed fresh fish in the sushi case and that temporarily raised the overall temperature. He says the drain tube has been moved. Samurai Sushi is still waiting for a follow-up visit.
The following establishments just earned perfect inspection scores from Metro Health:
- Arturo's Cafe on South Presa.
- Habanero's Grill off I-10 at The Rim.
- Jack in the Box on Probandt.
- Pizza Hut on Wurzbach.
- Wagner High School on North Foster Road.