SAN ANTONIO -

Four families were burnt out of their homes on Tuesday afternoon after a fire broke out at the La Fiesta apartment complex in the 6900 block of North Vandiver.

San Antonio Fire Assistant Chief Oscar Gonzalez said when crews got to the scene, two of the buildings were engulfed in thick, black smoke.

Gonzalez said they were able to get everyone out, including a woman in a wheelchair, who was trapped on the second floor.

Gonzalez said no one was injured and while they did evacuate eight units because of the smoke, crews were able to contain the fire to four units.

"The key in apartment fires is trying to get ahead of it, contain that fire and, of course, extinguish it," said Gonzalez. "So the guys did a pretty good job of staying ahead of it and finding stops in it and keeping it from spreading."

Gonzalez said some crews were doing some welding work in the attic, which sparked the fire.

He said there are eight adults and three children who have been displaced by this fire, but that managers are opening up some of their other units where the families can move in the meantime.

For a list of recent stories Stephanie Serna has done, click here.