Behind the Kitchen Door: Unsafe food temps lead to 3 failing scores
Taqueria Nuevo Vallarta, Andrea's Mexican Restaurant, Thai Cafe fail inspection
Three San Antonio restaurants failed their recent health inspection for a variety of demerits.
Taqueria Nuevo Vallarta at 3451 Roosevelt Avenue failed with 39 demerits. Their violations included:
- Unsafe food temperatures.
- Improper hand washing by employees.
- Accumulated food debris and grease around the grills.
The owner tells KSAT Behind the Kitchen Door they were very busy the day the inspector showed up. She says they have fixed everything and are waiting for a re-inspection.
Andrea's Mexican Restaurant at 2525 S.W. Loop 410 received 32 demerits on their recent inspection.
- There were unsafe food temperatures.
- They were told to clean up rodent droppings and dead mice found in glue traps.
- They were asked to clean their knives and stop storing them by wedging them between walls.
The manager says most of their issues were minor but he's called in pest control again. He tells KSAT Behind the Kitchen Door they passed their re-inspection early last week.
Thai Cafe at 11318 Perrin Beitel flunked their latest inspection with 35 demerits.
- The inspector reported unsafe food temperatures at the buffet.
- The ice scoop handle was laying in the ice for customer drinks.
- A dirty can opener was spotted in the kitchen.
The manager of Thai Cafe tells KSAT Behind the Kitchen Door their inspector is new and "very strict" but "that's good!"
The manager says they made all corrections within three days and assured Behind the Kitchen Door he has never failed before.
Records did show good scores at Thai Cafe dating back to April 2010. Thai Cafe had been reinspected by Tuesday afternoon and no demerits were found.
The following eateries all received perfect scores during their latest inspection from Metro Health:
- Bourbon Street Seafood Kitchen on Loop 1604 at Redland Road.
- El Rey de Taquito on West Chavaneaux near Loop 410 and Moursund.
- Hard Rock Cafe on the River Walk.
- Ruth's Chris Steakhouse at Sunset Station.
For a list of recent stories Mark Austin has done, click here.
Copyright 2013 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.