School attendance at South San High School on Monday was reported to be 15 percent lower than usual in the wake of a brawl in a hallway last Friday.
“It was a typical high school fight,” said Ed Suarez, South San Independent School District spokesman.
“There was no gang issues. There were no weapons. There were no drugs involved. It was over a girl,” Suarez said.
However, he said nine students were charged with disorderly conduct.
Suarez also said in addition to more law enforcement, administrators from other schools have been brought in for the remainder of the week.
The parent of a South San student who did not want to be identified, said the video of the melee captured on a cell phone was alarming to watch.
“The parents should have been notified what was going on,” she said.
She also said there were several fights that broke out throughout the day, which is why many students were kept home fearing further violence.
Yet Suarez said if there had been more fights, the school would have been shut down.
He said there were only two incidents -- the one on the video and another unrelated fight after school.