Breaker box sparks massive house fire in north San Antonio
Damage estimated at $40,000-$50,000
A massive fire ignited at a North Side home moments after the homeowners said they saw sparks coming from the breaker box.
Flames broke out around 1:30 a.m. Thursday at a home in the 1000 block of W. Myrtle.
San Antonio firefighters arrived and said the front of the home was fully engulfed in flames and the fire was shooting out of the roof.
George Esparza lives down the street and said it was the sounds of the fire that grabbed his attention.
"I came down to see it, and it was engulfed already," he said. "The electrical wires from the city were popping and stuff. At first I thought it was fireworks."
Esparza said the flames were above the power lines.
Fire crews battled the fire for about 30 minutes before finally getting it under control.
San Antonio fire officials said the front of the home was destroyed and damage was estimated at $40,000 to $50,000.
For a list of recent stories Jenna Hiller has done, click here.
Copyright 2013 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.