An Edwards County man considers himself lucky after he was struck by lightning inside his home.
Cheval Silva planned to watch the International Space Station streak across the sky above his ranch about 20 miles west of Rocksprings, Texas, on Monday evening.
But storms were rolling in, and with his 5-year-old grand daughter visiting, they decided to stay inside and watch TV.
Silva fell asleep but was awakened by what could be called the shock of his life.
"Searing pain in my right foot, and when I woke up, I could see the room kind of exploded," he said.
Silva thought he had been shot. "We live out here in the middle of nowhere. People hunt out here day and night," he said.
He immediately went to get his grand daughter out of harm's way.
"When I picked her up, she started screaming, 'Grandpa, you're on fire! You're on fire!'" Silva said.
A bolt of lightning had come through the roof and struck his shoulder and exited his foot, catching both him and his favorite chair on fire.
Because of where they live, the Silvas had to go to their help.
"They couldn't find my house. So, what had to happen, we had to load my grand daughter and myself in the truck and get down the highway extension and wait for them," said Silva.
His grand daughter was uninjured. Silva said that other than some nerve damage, he is going to be fine, thanks to the Edwards County EMS and doctors in Del Rio.
His favorite chair, however, didn't make it. "I'm awful glad my grand daughter is safe and I'm glad I still have my legs, but I'm sure going to miss that chair," he said.
Silva plans on getting lightning rods for his home.