Electrical fire damages Eastside home
Family makes it out safely after fire erupts
A family of five is without a home, after an electrical malfunction sparked a fire there on Sunday afternoon.
It happened in the 1100 block of Dawson.
Fire officials said it appeared that the fire broke out at the back of the house and that crews could see the smoke as they rushed to the scene.
The three children and their two friends, who were inside the home at the time, made it out safely.
However, fire officials said the wind did cause some problems, pushing the fire from the back of the house to the front and spreading through the attic.
"The guys went in, did a good aggressive attack on it and pretty much got it knocked out," said San Antonio Fire Department District Chief Connie Hall. "But, these older houses down here with this construction in the wood and the slight wind that we had blowing, (the fire) goes up to the attic quick."
Hall is estimating that there is at least $85,000 worth of damage to the house and $50,000 to the contents.
A 12-year-old boy was being treated for some minor burns on his hands.