Electrical short ignites fire at North San Antonio home

San Antonio firefighters: Home on Fulton Avenue likely total loss

Author: Jenna Hiller, Reporter, jhiller@ksat.com
Published On: Nov 15 2012 07:42:11 AM CST   Updated On: Nov 15 2012 11:24:46 AM CST
fulton fire
SAN ANTONIO -

An electrical short is blamed for a fire that destroyed a home on Fulton Avenue early Thursday morning.

San Antonio firefighters arrived to heavy flames and smoke around 1:30 a.m.

Firefighters believe the blaze was caused by an electrical shortage in a television that was in a bedroom in the back of the house.

A family of six was renting the home. They said everyone was asleep, but the oldest son, a 13-year-old, went to his parents' bedroom, because he was hot.

When he woke his parents, smoke was already filling the house and they rushed to get everyone out.

The father hurt his foot while going to the front bedroom to check on his daughter. No one was seriously injured.

Fire fighters said the house would likely be considered a total loss, with damage to the structure estimated at $60,000, and damage to contents estimated at $20,000.

The renters did not have insurance.

For a list of recent stories Jenna Hiller has done, click here.