SAN ANTONIO -

Melissa Menchaca was at her home in the 300 block of Ligustrum on June 25 when she smelled smoke.

"I looked right here down my driveway ... and I could see flames," Menchaca said. "They weren't big, but I saw them. I ran in and told everybody, 'It's a fire, it's a fire!'"

She said she quickly got everyone out of the house while her husband attempted to extinguish the growing flames.

"He opened the door and yelled for us to go because it was expanding," Menchaca said. "He said, 'Run! Go! Go!' It blew and he flew forward and then the whole house ignited."

Fire officials determined the water heater caused the fire.

The Menchacas lost just about everything to fire and smoke damage.

They're currently staying with friends, trying to figure out where they'll go next.

They're also trying to find a new home for their dog, Baby. They can't bring Baby to the home they're staying at temporarily and have no place for her to go.

They're hoping to raise money and find a home for Baby this Saturday at a fundraiser being held at Fatso's at 1704 Bandera Road in San Antonio from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.