SAN ANTONIO -

An East Side family was burned out of their home after a fire ripped through it early Sunday afternoon.

The fire broke out just after 2 p.m. at a house in the 1100 block of Dawson, just off of North Palmetto.

Sylvia Casas, who lives in the house, said her neighbors saved her 20-year-old granddaughter.

Casas said she had just left when the fire broke out. "She calls me frantically, I couldn't make out what was she was saying, but I did make it out when she screamed 'I can't get out, I can't get out,'" Casas said. "I knew something was wrong. We headed back home and the house was in flames."

Casas's granddaughter, her friend and her friend's little brother were inside when the house burst into flames.

Neighbor David Wills saw the fire and ran over to help. He said he saw the woman try to climb out of the window. "She was pulling trying to get out," said Wills. "And, we were both helping until we got her out the window."

Casas calls Wills a hero, but Wills said he was just trying to help.  "They are my neighbors and I always go over there, anytime they need me," he said.

San Antonio arson investigators said some faulty wiring inside the house started the fire, causing more than $135,000 worth of damage.

For a list of recent stories Stephanie Serna has done, click here.