Family loses home in morning fire

Firefighters say the fire started from a barbecue left burning

Author: Stephanie Serna, Reporter,
Published On: Dec 30 2012 05:24:53 PM CST   Updated On: Dec 30 2012 07:41:37 PM CST
poteet house fire
POTEET, Texas -

A family in Poteet is now without a home after a fire ripped through it early Sunday morning.

It happened at a house in the 300 block of Viewpoint Drive in Poteet.

When crews got to the scene, the house was filled with flames and there was smoke everywhere.

Firefighters said it appears a barbecue left burning may have started the fire.

"It's my mom's house and they were barbecuing and they didn't turn the whole fire off," said Jessica Garza, the daughter of the woman who lost the house. "And, with the winds, it caught the whole trailer on fire."

Garza said her mother is devastated that everything she owned is now gone.

"They need a lot of help right now," Garza said. "They have nothing. Everything is gone. They only have the clothes on their backs."

Although the fire spread quickly and ripped through the entire home, Garza said her mother and her 15-year-old sister made it out unharmed, but they were not able to salvage any of their belongings.

"Luckily my sister and my mom made it out just in time, but it's all gone," she said. "They have nothing."

The Red Cross responded to the fire Sunday morning to help the teen and her mother.

For a list of recent stories by Stephanie Serna, click here.