SAN ANTONIO -

The family of 21-year-old Gilbert Garcia, who was arrested last Wednesday for a 2011 murder, said Monday police have arrested an innocent man.

Gilbert's father, also Gilbert, said police picked up his son for an interview last Wednesday and about 30 minutes after they dropped him off at home they came back with an arrest warrant.

He's charged with the murder of 21-year-old Jose Zamora, who was fatally shot outside the Mink night club on Bitters road in September 2011.

"There's a gentleman out there that knows that he's guilty and letting an innocent man be behind bars," said his father Gilbert. "I can't sleep, [my wife] can't sleep. We're trying to figure out things."

"They have an innocent man behind bars and God needs to give him justice," said friend Justin Garcia.

The family has created a Facebook page to gather support for his cause.

"We feel bad for the other family but at the same time we want our son out," said Garcia. "He's innocent."

Gilbert's girlfriend and mother of their three-week-old daughter, Shawn Ashley Bonilla, was with him that night and said she wasn't questioned by police until last week.

"We were all with him," said Bonilla. "He has a lot of witnesses to prove that he was with us and he was nowhere near that shooting."

"When we did leave that parking lot that night, the person who was later found shot was standing up in the parking lot while we passed by," added friend Rudy Guerra who drove Garcia home that night.

Garcia and his group of friends knew Zamora and admitted to getting into an argument that night but said they didn't know how bad things got until the next day.

"The next morning is when we heard about Jose," said Norberto Rodriguez who was out with Garcia that night. "We were all in shock ourselves."

"We were friends of [Zamora] too," said Justin Garcia. "We want to find out who did it on behalf of his family."

"I want closure for the other family and closure for the family but it needs to be the right person," added Bonilla.

Gilbert Garcia remains in the Bexar county jail under $250,000 bond. His family plans to hold a fundraiser to help with potential legal fees if follow-up interviews do not help to free him. One of those interviews should take place on Thursday.