First steps taken in Pre-K 4 SA program
City Council to hire executive search firm
The $31 million 'Pre-K 4 SA' program approved by voters last month is on the way to becoming a reality.
“We want to educate as many children as we can with that revenue,” said Mayor Julian Castro.
Castro said that on Thursday, the City Council is expected to approve a contract for up to $175,000 to hire an East Coast executive recruiting firm.
“We want to hire a top notch executive director,” Castro said.
Also on Thursday, the council is expected to appoint a board of directors for the program.
Castro said that the council has already approved long term leases for Pre-K centers in the Northwest and Southeast quadrants of the city.
Pre-K 4 SA will eventually have sites in all four quadrants of the city.
“Everything is on track,” Castro said. “I’m glad that the community has been very supportive after the election to insure that it is an excellent initiative that educates our children very well.”
The 1/8th-cent sales tax to fund the initiative will be effective in April 2013, with classes set to begin the following August.
Copyright 2012 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.