An out-of-control trash burn sparked a grass fire on the 9000 block of New Sulphur Springs Road on Wednesday afternoon, a day when a wind advisory was in effect.
Someone was burning the trash in a barrel at 1:30 p.m., when they left it unattended, said Chris Lopez, Bexar County Fire Marshal Chief Investigator.
The wind spread the flames quickly through a field and filled the area with heavy smoke.
Some residents were asked to leave their homes.
"It got right up to my dog kennels," said Leroy Kramer, a neighbor. "I had a high pressure water hose that I just kept spraying and kept it at by until the fire department got here."
The fire burned 5 to 10 acres, Lopez said, and damaged a mobile home, sheds and an recreational vehicle.
Neighbors said they heard several explosions, which Lopez said were caused by a propane tank on the RV.
Ten fire units responded.
An investigation is underway to determine whether the person responsible for the trash burn will face a penalty.
No one was hurt.
To read more stories from Myra Arthur, click here.