SAN ANTONIO -

An out-of-control trash burn sparked a grass fire on the 9000 block of New Sulphur Springs Road on Wednesday afternoon, a day when a wind advisory was in effect.

Someone was burning the trash in a barrel at 1:30 p.m., when they left it unattended, said Chris Lopez, Bexar County Fire Marshal Chief Investigator.

The wind spread the flames quickly through a field and filled the area with heavy smoke.

Some residents were asked to leave their homes.

"It got right up to my dog kennels," said Leroy Kramer, a neighbor. "I had a high pressure water hose that I just kept spraying and kept it at by until the fire department got here."

The fire burned 5 to 10 acres, Lopez said, and damaged a mobile home, sheds and an recreational vehicle.

Neighbors said they heard several explosions, which Lopez said were caused by a propane tank on the RV.

Ten fire units responded.

An investigation is underway to determine whether the person responsible for the trash burn will face a penalty.

No one was hurt.

To read more stories from Myra Arthur, click here.

Grass fire burns 10 acres in east Bexar County

Published On: Dec 19 2012 06:52:23 PM CST   Updated On: Dec 19 2012 06:54:03 PM CST
Neighbors on New Sulphur Springs Road asked to leave homes

An out-of-control trash burn sparks a grass fire in east Bexar County.

1 / 6