A popular Chinese buffet on the Northeast Side and a Mexican restaurant near Woodlawn Lake failed their health inspections with a combined 95 demerits.
Chen's Golden Phoenix on Perrin-Beitel received 54 demerits. Their violations included:
- Food not hot enough.
- They were skipping a step on dish washing.
- The inspector said the owner stuck a hands in some prepared rice to check the temperature.
The manager told KSAT's Behind the Kitchen Door everything is fine now. KSAT's Behind the Kitchen Door asked about the rice incident and the manager said she was unaware it had even happened. Chen's Golden Phoenix had not been re-inspected as of Tuesday evening.
La Huasteca on North Zarzamora failed their latest inspection with 41 demerits. Their violations included:
- The inspector observed improper hand washing.
- Evidence of insects and rodents found.
- They were told clean the inside of all their coolers and freezers.
The manager tells KSAT's Behind the Kitchen Door they are training some new employees. He says they have monthly pest controls treatments and are still working on things before the inspector comes back.
The following restaurants received a perfect score on their latest Metro Health inspection.
- Church's Fried Chicken on Potranco.
- Orange Leaf Yogurt on Interstate 10 at Boerne Stage.
- Panda Express on UTSA's main campus.