KSAT 12 goes Behind the Kitchen Door to find out what led to failing scores for three area restaurants.
Herradero Mexican Restaurant at 5811 S. Flores failed their inspection with 32 demerits. Their violations included:
- Their walk-in cooler was at an unsafe 47 degrees.
- No soap at their hand washing sinks.
- They were asked re-train the staff on proper food handling.
The owner says their inspector is very picky. She adds that's a good thing and everything's been fixed.
Sarovar Indian Cuisine at 10227 Ironside Drive off Interstate 10 and Wurzbach also received 32 demerits. Their problems included:
- Food not hot enough on the buffet.
- Ice used to keep food cold was the same ice in customer drinks.
- No cooks wore hair restraints.
The manager tells us they "try their best." He says the inspector came back and everything is fine now.
Aladdin Nights at 310 Valley Hi Drive received a failing score of 31 demerits.
- The inspector found moldy cucumbers.
- No hot water at the main kitchen sink.
- The inspection report wasn't posted where the public could see it.
Several violations were corrected the day of the inspection. The owner of Aladdin Nights says he didn't know they had failed inspection, but says his restaurant is clean. He also adds they passed their re-inspection with zero demerits.
The following restaurants received zero demerits on their health inspection:
- Church's Fried Chicken on Old Highway 90 and Callaghan Road.
- La Madeleine on Interstate 10 near Huebner.
- Rickenbacker's Cafe on South Gen. McMullen.
- Taco Cabana on Loop 1604 and Bandera Road.