San Antonio Metro Health recently gave failing inspection scores to Jay's Cafeteria and Toscana Ristorante for several violations.
Jay's Cafeteria located on West Old Highway 90 received 33 demerits. The failing score is a far cry from the 10 demerits they received earlier this year. Their violations included:
- Mildew in the ice machine.
- An employee did office work, then went right back to cutting vegetables without washing their hands.
- No date labels on leftovers.
The owner tells KSAT's Behind the Kitchen Door the ice machine was cleaned during the inspection.
He says no one did office work, then kitchen work without washing up and claims all leftovers were labeled properly. Jay's Cafeteria is expecting a re-inspection this week.
Toscana Ristorante is located downtown on East Houston Street. They failed their latest health inspection with 31 demerits. Their violations included:
- An ice scoop and cocktail mixes sitting in ice used for customer drinks.
- Water not hot enough at several sinks.
- Some mold in an ice machine.
The general manager says the restaurant is closed for re-modeling and that plumbing repairs are just part of it.
He said a new employee is responsible for the scoop and mixes in the ice and the ice machine is clean and will be more frequently.
Toscana Ristorante is hoping to finish renovations and re-open by next week.