A Mexican restaurant racked up 64 demerits during its latest health inspection, but insist it was just an unlucky day.
La Esquinita Mexican Restaurant is located on Shepherd Road outside Loop 1604 in Southwest Bexar County. Despite the high number of violations, the restaurant is still open for business. Some notable violations included:
- Unsafe food temperatures.
- The restaurant needed to be cleaned including the moldy ice machine.
- There was no documentation their water well is registered as a public water system.
An employee tells KSAT's Behind the Kitchen Door that the inspector was on them for "every little thing." She said a different inspector came back and found fewer problems.
KSAT found five old scores for La Esquinita dating back to 2009. Their worst was 27 demerits, which is not a failing score. Their best was 4 demerits.
Four businesses recently earned perfect scores from Metro Health.
- Fred's Fish Fry on Nogalitos.
- Leo's Barbacoa on Medina Base Road.
- Mi Mercado on New Laredo Highway.
- Panda Express at UTSA's main campus.