SAN ANTONIO -

An apartment complex on the 5200 block of Meadow Field caught fire on Thursday, but thanks to come quick thinking by residents and firefighters, everyone made it out safely.

According to Wesley West, with the San Antonio Fire Department, the fire began in an empty bedroom in a first floor unit, which was occupied by a mother, grandmother and child.

Residents who live there are giving credit to Shawn Berryhill, an off-duty volunteer firefighter, for helping to save lives.

“He went around the back and busted out the window,” said Susan Black, who lives in one of the affected units. “They were still in there asleep. They had no idea what was going on.”

Berryhill said he was outside smoking a cigarette, when he saw smoke and jumped into action.

“I realized there was smoke coming up out of the roof, so I came running down, and make sure that everyone was out," Berryhill said.

In all, four units were damaged and all four occupants and their families say they have a place to stay for the time being.

Damages are estimated at $120,000 for the structure, and $30,000 for the contents inside.