A home was destroyed Friday morning after a fire that started in the garage made its way to the attic.
The house was located in the 3400 block of Chateau, on the city's east side.
Martha Delaney lives with her sister who was home alone at the time the fire started and called her at work.
"She said the house was on fire (and) she heard a boom," Delaney said. "(A neighbor) said, 'There is a house on fire,’ (so) she walked outside and it was our house."
Delaney said she could see the fire from where she works at Fort Sam. She said she she even followed a fire truck to her house.
“I saw the flames, the smoke, from Ft. Sam and we lost everything," Delaney said.
Some of their most precious belongings were actually saved. Delaney’s sister got out OK and paramedics were able to save most of their pets.
"As you can see, we have been resuscitating at least nine cats right now," said San Antonio fire Chief Charles Hood, as firefighters continued to battle the blaze.
Thanks to masks that are specially made for animals, 10 cats and two dogs were saved.
"For an animal lover, it’s just as good as saving a human, you know. It’s all life. They matter," said Robert Stegall, a paramedic student at the health sciences center who was on a ride-a-long making his first stop.
Even though they saved 12 animals, they lost nearly as many cats.
The ones they did save were transported to Animal Care Services for further treatment.
To see a list of stories that David Sears has done, click here.