Parents and guardians interested in pre-enrolling their children in the inaugural class of the City of San Antonio’s Pre-K 4 SA program can attend a series of pre-enrollment events beginning Wednesday, May 1, through Saturday, May 11.
Enrollment is free for 4-year-olds and for those who will be age 4 by Sept. 1 if they or their families meet at least one of the state eligibility criteria:
· Eligible for free or reduced lunch (is at 185 percent of the federal poverty level)
· English as a Second Language
· The child of an active duty member of the U.S. armed forces
· The child of a member of the U.S. armed forces who was injured or killed while serving on active duty
· Is or has been in foster care
Parents can pre-enroll their child at the following locations and times:
· May 1: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Alamodome, 100 Montana St.
· May 2: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Millers Pond Community Center, 6175 Old Pearsall Rd.
· May 4: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Park Hills Baptist Church, 17747 San Pedro Ave.
· May 4: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Harlandale High School, 114 E. Gerald Ave.
· May 6: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Cuellar Community Center, 5626 San Fernando St.
· May 6: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. District 6 Senior Center, 8353 Culebra Rd.
· May 8: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. South San Admin Office Auditorium, 5622 Ray Ellison Dr.
· May 8: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. UTSA 1604 Campus, 1 UTSA Circle
· May 9: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Morgan’s Wonderland Event Center, 5223 David Edward Dr.
· May 9: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Alamodome, 100 Montana St.
· May 11: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Woodlawn Gym, 1103 Cincinnati Ave.
· May 11: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. District 6 Senior Center, 8353 Culebra Rd.
Parents must show proof of residence in San Antonio and Bexar County in order to register. They can bring a CPS Energy, SAWS or Time Warner Cable bill or other utility bill.
Classes for the program are slated to begin in August and will be offered at two locations: North Center, 3635 Medical Dr., and South Center, 2535 SE Military Dr. Each center will enroll 350 students. Of the 700 students at both centers, 10 percent of children can enroll through income-based fees.
Enrollment involves a four-step process: Pre-enroll in May, lottery in June, finalize enrollment in July, and notice of qualifying in July/ August.
After parents have pre-enrolled their child, 630 slots will be chosen by lottery. Of those children not selected, they will be put on a waiting list.