Four different buildings that escaped the flames of last Thursday’s fire at the Castlewood Condominium complex have had their gas lines turned off since Friday.
“We recognize our problems are nothing compared to the people who lost everything, though, and our hearts go out to them,” said Glen Starnes, who said he felt the heat from the fire. “But we also want to know what’s going on with our own buildings.”
CPS Energy crews turned off the main meter to the buildings the day of the fire, and kept them off after discovering a leak inside a pipe on the property.
A spokesman said they have to keep the gas off for safety reasons until the pipe is repaired, but said it is the property management company’s responsibility to fix the leaks, because the pipe is on their property.
Asset Property Management Inc. manages the complex, and had not responded to a request for comment as of Monday afternoon.
“We are extremely frustrated because we’ve been without hot water for days now, and have been given zero concrete timeframe on when that issue is going to be fixed,” said Starnes.
Residents also expressed concern about the cause of the fire, wondering if the gas leaks had anything to do with the flames.
That is just speculation, however, as the San Antonio Fire Department has not yet ruled on the cause of Thursday’s fire.