Three hours after bomb threats shut down the San Antonio International Airport, the terminals, parking garages and parking lots were cleared for explosives and the airport reopened as authorities continued to investigate the threats.
San Antonio police Chief William McManus said around 2 p.m. on Wednesday, "very specific threats" were called in to the airport, indicating three vehicles in the lower level of the short-term parking garage contained explosives
He said the caller also reported "non-specific threats" to the terminals. The garage is located about 300 feet away from the terminals.
By 4:30 p.m., the three vehicles had been cleared of explosive material and the approximately 1,000 people evacuated from the airport were being allowed slowly back in to the terminals.
The FBI, the Department of Homeland Security, TSA, San Antonio police and fire departments and airport security personnel were working together to clear the airport and to determine the source of the call.
Bomb-sniffing dogs checking out the vehicles initially reacted as though there could be explosives each of the three vehicles, McManus said. Bomb technicians were called in to sweep the cars, the parking garages and parking lots and the terminals.
All outbound flights were grounded and all incoming flights were being held on the tarmac. In addition, San Antonio police blocked all entrances and exits to the airport.
By 5 p.m., the airport was re-opened and all normal flight operations were resumed, though airport officials said for travelers to expect delays due to the closure.