SAFD: Cold snap good reason to check smoke detectors
Firefighters replace smoke detectors in East side home after small fire
San Antonio firefighters put out a small fire at an East side home in the 200 block of F Street.
Captain Gabriel Ortega said gusty winds played a role in the fire, which he said was caused by a cigarette that became wedged between the home and a deck.
"Don't carelessly discard your cigarettes, especially in wind like this. Even that tiny little ember (will) start a fire in this dry atmosphere," Ortega said.
Firefighters said there were two smoke detectors in the home, but when firefighters checked them, they weren't working.
They replaced both of them and added two more.
With colder weather and families firing up heaters and fireplaces, SAFD wants everyone to remember that working smoke detectors are a must.
"Any time is a good time for a reminder of that. Everybody needs smoke detectors in their house," Ortega said.
Firefighters also recommend having a professional check your heater to make sure there aren't any unexpected problems.
"Sometimes you're going to get these bad smells and think your house is on fire. It's just the dust on the burners that's just burning off," he said.
Call 211, and the fire department will add you to a list for free installation.
For a list of recent stories Jenna Hiller has done, click here.
Copyright 2012 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.