The San Antonio Independent School District board voted late Tuesday evening to stop talks with the Spurs regarding plans to bring professional soccer to Alamo Stadium.
According to SAISD spokeswoman Leslie Price, SAISD board president Ed Garza said use of the stadium by Spurs Sports & Entertainment should be taken off the table.
The board said renovations to Alamo Stadium should primarily benefit SAISD Athletics.
Controversy over the future use of Alamo Stadium began after the board voted earlier this month to add a pro-sized soccer field to the facility.
The move drew heavy criticism from many taxpayers who said a 2010 bond to improve the stadium made no mention of professional soccer.
Mario Barerra chairs the citizens oversight committee for SAISD. He said he was surprised by Tuesday night’s decision, but hopes it will allow quiet some of the controversy.
"It, at least for now, takes this issue off the table and allows the district staff and project managers to focus on the issues that we have with the $515 million bond package," he said. "It was to take the attention back away from all the publicity and put people’s mind at ease and be able to focus on what we need to do here at Alamo Stadium and Convocation Center."
A total of $35 million from the bond package was allocated for planned renovations. Those renovations are still expected to move forward.
Price said the recent decision to expand the field to professional size still stands.
The proposal keeps an eight-lane track in place, but also allows for a FIFA-sized soccer field to be put in Alamo Stadium. Some of the lower seats would be removed under the proposal.