SAN ANTONIO -

San Antonio firefighters saved a woman from an apartment fire on the North Side that was believed to have started because the woman fell asleep with food on the stove.

Fire crews were called to the apartment complex in the 1600 block of West Lawndale around 11 p.m. Monday, and noticed heavy smoke upon arrival.

Firefighters said they had to break into the apartment through a window to help the woman out.

Fire crews quickly put out the flames, which were contained to the kitchen area of the apartment.  

The woman was treated for smoke inhalation and expected to be OK. Damage estimates were not released.

For a list of recent stories Jenna Hiller has done, click here.