SAN ANTONIO -

The lawyer for Jordan Hicks, one of two University of Texas football players accused of rape in San Antonio, says his client will not be charged in connection with the assault and the investigation is closed.

Perry Minton, an Austin-based attorney, said in a statement released Wednesday afternoon that "no charges will be filed against Jordan Hicks or anyone else."

However, as of Wednesday afternoon, San Antonio police had yet to confirm that Hicks or anyone else had been cleared.

A police spokeswoman issued this statement:

"In light of the media inquiries into the allegation of a sexual assault that took place in the early morning hours on December 28, 2012, in the downtown area, the San Antonio Police Department’s SVU (Special Victims Unit) is still reviewing the case."

Hicks, a linebacker (pictured below left), and Case McCoy (pictured below right), a backup quarterback, were sent home the day before UT played Oregon State in the Alamo Bowl on Dec. 29 for breaking team rules, according to coach Mack Brown.

ESPN, among other online organizations, named Hicks and McCoy as the two players accused of sexually assaulting a woman at a San Antonio hotel two nights before the game.

According to a San Antonio police report issued Dec. 28, investigators were called to the Holiday Inn River Walk on the report of a sexual assault very early that morning.

The report indicates a 21-year-old woman met two men at the bar, then went to a room upstairs around 2 a.m. where she claims she was assaulted by one of the men while the other watched.

She did tell police that she had been drinking but that she didn't "quite remember" what happened.

To read Minton's full statement, click here (PDF).

Jordan Hicks, Case McCoy