Sandy Oaks VFD rallies community's support

Department shut down Jan. 1

Author: Stephanie Serna, Reporter, sserna@ksat.com
Published On: Jan 02 2013 06:23:43 PM CST   Updated On: Jan 02 2013 06:45:26 PM CST
SAN ANTONIO -

A local volunteer fire department that was shut down on Jan. 1 is working to get back in service.

Members of the now-inactive Sandy Oaks Volunteer Fire Department are inviting the community out to get them updated on coverage in their area.

Wednesday was the second day the departments had been out of service, but on Wednesday night, former volunteer firefighters hosted a community meeting at their station to let what the residents know what is going on.

The meeting, set for 6 p.m., will also allow residents to speak to the department's attorneys.

As of Jan. 1, the department's contract with Emergency Services District No. 6 was terminated.

ESD 6 officials said they have a crew from another district made up of six firefighters and three trucks to cover the former Sandy Oaks area.

However, some former volunteers are concerned that the new crew will not be enough.

"They know how to fight fires just like we do," said Taylor Squires, with the Sandy Oaks Volunteer Fire Department. "But my biggest concern is that they don't know the area."

In addition to the Sandy Oaks Department, the South Bexar Volunteer Fire Department was also shut down by district officials on Jan.1.

Squires said they are in talks with their attorneys and are hoping to be open again in two weeks.