SAN ANTONIO -

With New Year's Eve and New Year's Day around the corner, the Sandy Oaks Volunteer Fire Department would normally be gearing up for one of the busiest times of the year, but not this year.

As of Jan. 1, 2013, the department will officially shut its doors.

"As of the first at 12:01, we're not going to be responding to calls," said Taylor Squires with the Sandy Oaks Volunteer Fire Department.

Last month, Emergency Services District Number 6 terminated their contract with Sandy Oaks, effective Jan. 1.

ESD 6 stated that the department was in breech of their contract with the district.

On Thursday, the department met with their attorney in hopes of filing a temporary restraining order but their attorneys advised against it.

"We have opted to back off everything until after the first," said Squires. "We are still fighting. We're still going to be here to do what we can."

Matt Sifuentes, who lives in South Bexar County, said even though ESD 6 has stated that they will have help from crews in ESD 2, not having Sandy Oaks around anymore makes him nervous.

"I think it's terrible," said Sifuentes. "That's like our only source of help, especially with fires and with New Year's being just days away."

Squires agrees that this couldn't have happened at a worse time.

"As you've seen over the last week, there have been several fires and it's only going to get worse," said Squires. "We don't have any rain."

Although the Sandy Oaks Fire Department will no longer be able to respond to calls starting Jan. 1, Squires said they're not going away.

On Jan. 2, they are inviting the community out to the fire station to meet with their attorneys in an effort to save the department.