Smoke fills school cafeteria after freezer breaks

Smoke fills Howsman Elementary in northwest San Antonio

Published On: Jan 31 2013 05:19:02 AM CST
howsman elementary smoke

A freezer broke at a Northwest Side school and filled part of the building with smoke Wednesday night.

San Antonio firefighters were called to Howsman Elementary in the 11000 block of Vance Jackson around 8 p.m.

Firefighters say a belt broke on the freezer unit in the school's cafeteria and began to cause smoke.

The fire alarm did not sound, but custodian saw the smoke and called 911.

Officials do not believe the food inside the freezer was damaged, but a health inspector was sent to examine it.